TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Supervises and operates pumps, valves, motors and related machinery and equipment; Supervises and performs maintenance work and minor repairs on machinery and equipment;
- Monitors and maintains all plant process equipment for calibration and accuracy with chemical feeds;
- Records readings of meters, gauges and scales;
- Supervises and regulates chlorinators operation;
- Supervises and regulates settling basins, filter beds and sludge dewatering process;
- Monitors backwash, recycled and outfall waters for recyclability or conformity with discharge Permits;
- Supervises and takes samples for water testing;
- Makes necessary tests for control of plant operations and other chemical and physical tests, including dosage calculations and jar testing to ensure water quality;
- Keeps a log of plant operations and related records;
- Supervises and performs custodial duties in connection with the maintenance of buildings and grounds;
- Assists in the instruction of assigned staff.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS;
Thorough knowledge of the practices used and the equipment required in the operation and maintenance of a Type A Municipal Water Treatment Plant containing facilities for coagulation, filtration and chlorination; good knowledge of the principles and applications of physics, chemistry and bacteriology as they relate to water purification; skill in the operation and repair of pumps, valves and related mechanical and electrical equipment; ability to make routine laboratory and field tests for control of plant operation; ability to utilize a computer to access, enter, report operation data; ability to read, understand and record data from gauges, scales and meters; ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions; mechanical aptitude; alertness and dependability; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
A) Possession of a New York State professional engineers license or graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered four year college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Natural Science or a related field, and two (2) years of experience in water treatment operations one (1) year of which was in a Class A water treatment plant; and a minimum of three years supervisory experience, OR:
B) Graduation from a regionally accredited New York State registered two year college or university with an Associate’s degree in Public Health or Environmental Health which included a course in water operations, and four (4) years of experience in water treatment operations one (1) year of which was in a Class A water treatment plant; and a minimum of three years supervisory experience; OR:
C) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and ten (10) years of experience in water treatment operations one (1) year of which was in a Class A water treatment plant; and a minimum of three years of supervisory experience;
Possession of a valid class D Drivers License issued by the State of New York At the Time of appointment;
The candidate must possess a grade II-A water treatment plant operator certificate issued under the provisions of the New York Sanitary code at time of appointment; and must be eligible for a Grade IA certificate and obtain same within six (6) months of appointment.
NOTE: Verifiable part-time and/or volunteer experience will be pro-rated toward meeting full-time experience requirements.