TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (illustrative only not all inclusive)
- Receives cash and check payments tendered in person by customers, by mail and electronically;
- Makes up and gives out receipts; makes change;
- Posts payment to cash received journals;
- Prepares and lists deposits, endorses checks for deposit;
- Reconciles payments received electronically, including payments processed by the lockbox;
- Balances amounts received against cash, journal entries and receipt copies;
- Verifies correctness of remittance against accounts receivable ledgers and by comparison;
- Receives, disburses and keeps records of a Petty Cash Fund;
- Examines any papers accompanying remittance to verify amounts before acknowledging receipt.
- Inspects, examines or credits simple accounts according to departmental procedures for accuracy and conformance;
- Coordinates the work of the meter service department with the customers, in regards to large meter changes, shut-offs, maintenance, and inspections;
- Audits larger customer billings prior to mailing, and makes adjustments directly to the computer;
- Updates customer information database by direct entry into the computer terminal;
- Coordinates the work of the various Authority contractors, via the telephone and in person;
- Supervises several data entry operators in updating computer information concerning restorations;
- Assists the Senior Distribution Engineer in the development of adequate bid specifications for contracted restorations work;
- Participates in processing and auditing contractor’s invoices of work performed.
- Supervises and assists the customer service staff answering telephone inquiries in regard to: Water billings, water rates, water meters and readings, leakage, domestic & commercial water systems, excess water usage, Water Authority Tariff Provisions;
- Supervises and assist the customer service staff in the processing of new applications for service and coordinates the processing of various work orders with the service center, investigations of high bill accounts and coordinates the processing of work orders with the service center, answering inquiries regarding delinquent accounts and arranges customer repayment plan, preparing adjustments, reviewing edits and adjusted billing registers before billing customers, processing delinquent accounts for Village and Town Tax rolls etc…
- Types forms, vouchers, records, reports, and other business letters; operates an alphanumeric keyboard to transcribe data directly to a computer;
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Good knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment; good knowledge of business arithmetic and English; good knowledge of the organization and functions of the agency; an understanding of single and double entry bookkeeping; ability to receive, account for, and prepare reports on large scale financial transactions; ability to make difficult arithmetic computations rapidly and accurately; ability to compile routine data and to prepare reports; ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions; ability to communicate with the public in a courteous and businesslike manner; ability to plan and supervise the work of others; clerical aptitude; sound judgment; neatness; tact and courtesy; capable of performing the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
A) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and three (3) years of general office experience, at least one (1) year of which must have involved public contact work, handling of cash and maintaining financial records; OR
B) Five (5) years of general office experience, at least one (1) year of which must have involved public contact work, handling of cash and maintaining financial records; OR
C) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B).
NOTE: Verifiable part-time and/or volunteer experience will be pro-rated toward meeting ful1-time experience requirements.
PROMOTIONAL: Must have served with permanent status as a Customer Service Representative, Data Entry Operator or Account Clerk for 24 months immediately preceding the date of the exam.