EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative only)
- Working with consultation with the Director, the SSE and other Authority personnel to assist in resolving problems with software products or Authority software systems, including 24/7 availability to respond to security and data breaches, or to unauthorized access to sensitive data and information involving the treatment or distribution of water or the protection of customer information;
- Analyzing and assessing existing management and operational systems and procedures; researching, identifying, analyzing, and fulfilling requirements of all internal and external program users including conducting research on emerging application development software products, languages, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts; administering critical analysis of test results and deliver solutions to problem areas;
- Assisting in the definition, development, and documentation of software’s operational requirements, objectives, deliverables, and specifications on a project-by-project basis in collaboration with internal users and departments; assisting in defining software development project plans, including scoping, scheduling, and implementation; generating statistics and writing reports for management and/or team members on the status of the programming process; installing software products for end users as required;
- Designing, running, and monitoring software performance tests on new and existing programs for the purposes of correcting errors, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging; recommending, schedule, and perform software improvements and upgrades;
- Consistently writing, translating, and coding software programs and applications according to specifications, including writing programming scripts to enhance functionality and/or performance of Authority applications, developing and maintaining user manuals and guidelines; training end users to operate new or modified programs; and
- Working, collaborating, training, and guiding junior IT team members.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Comprehensive knowledge of the IBM’s Content Manager Visual Info and OnDemand; extensive knowledge relating to software application for managing general ledger, budget and forecasting, inventory, fixed assets and asset management, records management, payroll, and human resources management; thorough knowledge of computer concepts, principles, procedures, and technology as applied to computer operations, hardware, network and system development; thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of method and procedural analysis; thorough knowledge of ILE RPG, TCP/IP networking, ILE, CL, SQL, Query and using application programming interfaces between the IBM Power System and other integrated file systems; thorough knowledge of programming and software development life cycles; thorough knowledge of RPG IV and AS/400 operating platforms; working knowledge of City Works software for creating and recording of work orders, meter readings for a customer relationship management system, project tracking, document archival and retrieval system; good knowledge of planning and how to layout day-to-day computer operational tasks; good knowledge of modern procedures used in governmental administration.
Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities; proven ability to use critical thinking skills with a high degree of accuracy; proven ability to work with users as part of a project team, to examine management and operational systems designed for processing and managing workflow; proven ability to define user and application requirements within an IBM Power System and Window environments, defining ILE RPG program specifications, writing programs and documentation, conducting integrated system testing, user training, implementation, and post implementation follow up; ability to plan, organize and supervise computer operators, programmers, and systems analysts and to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment; ability to communicate effectively with non-technical staff and with members of interdisciplinary teams including interviewing end-users for insight on functionality, interface problems, and/or usability issues; ability to conduct research into software-related issues and products; ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Sound judgment; dependability; tact; initiative; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position; flexible and adaptable to learning and understanding new technologies; strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills; highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to details.
ACCEPTABLE EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING:
A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, or closely related field and five (5) years of experience in software, systems analysis, or application programming involving the handling, analyzing, and encrypting sensitive and classified information, and with at least two years of experience, immediately preceding the date of appointment, in application programming for federally designated critical infrastructures, public utilities, or secured governmental information management systems, or
B) At least 9 years of experience in software, systems analysis, or application programming involving the handling, analyzing, and encrypting sensitive and classified information, with at least two years of experience immediately preceding the date of appointment, in application programming for federally designated critical infrastructures, public utilities, or secured governmental information management system.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCEPTANCE OF APPLICATIONS:
Eligibility for appointment requires financial and security clearances, based on fingerprint analysis by an authorized agency having access to federal and state criminal and civil records.
An eligible selected applicant will be required to sign a nondisclosure agreement prior to the date of appointment.