TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Supervises the various work assignments of the Water Maintenance Crew Chief, Water Service Crew Chief, Hydrant Valve Crew Chief and Senior Dispatcher;
- Coordinates repair and construction work with other public agencies, area public utilities and general contractors working in the public highways;
- Consults with the Distribution Engineers on technical problems;
- Reads plans and sketches of water systems and changes therein;
- Assigns vehicles and equipment to the general crews;
- Schedules and supervises a preventive maintenance program for all vehicles, equipment and tools used by the Authority;
- Maintains various records pertaining to work projects;
- Inspects job sites to ensure that safety procedures are complied with.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Thorough knowledge of practices, tools, equipment and terminology used in the installation, maintenance and repair of water distribution systems; good knowledge of preventive maintenance of motor vehicles, tools and equipment; ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with public officials, contractors and supervisory staff members; ability to layout and plan work of others; ability to secure cooperation from subordinates; ability to read plans and sketches; ability to follow oral and written instructions and plans; dependability; initiative; resourcefulness; tact; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
A) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and six (6) years of experience in the construction, repair, maintenance and operation of water main, plumbing and sewer installation, three (3) years of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; or:
B) Ten (10) years of experience in the construction, repair, maintenance and operation of water mains, plumbing and sewer installation, three (3) years of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; or;
C) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B).
Possession of a valid class A New York State Commercial Drivers License at the time of appointment.
Possession at time of appointment, a valid New York State Distribution System Grade “D” Certificate pursuant to Section 5-4.2 of the Sanitary Code.
NOTE: Verifiable part-time and/or volunteer experience will be pro-rated toward meeting full-time experience requirements