TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Maintains records and logs of the control system personnel and equipment;
- Supervises the monitoring of the system operation through the use of computer terminals;
- May operate the system remotely and/or manually when the situation warrants takeover;
- Supervises the lubrication and oiling of pump and motor bearings and related equipment;
- Supervises the cleaning and painting of equipment including pumps and motors;
- Supervises and performs a variety of mechanical maintenance and custodial tasks;
- Supervises the operation and servicing of auxiliary motors and equipment;
- Supervises the dismantling and reassembling pumps and motors when repairs or overhaul is indicated;
- May open, close and adjust valves at system or when repairs are needed;
- Directs the travel of the circuit booster pump stations to assure proper operation of pumps, motors and equipment which may be operating manually or remote control and to visually inspect buildings, grounds and equipment;
- Responds to calls in emergencies at any hour.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Thorough knowledge of the operation of computer terminals and screens; thorough knowledge of the operation, maintenance and minor and major repair of pumps and motors and high voltage switchgear; good knowledge of the operation and maintenance of water measurement devices; knowledge of the safety precautions to be exercised in connection with electric pump operations; ability to make repairs to mechanical equipment; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; ability to read, interpret and record gauges and meters used in regulating pumps; mechanical aptitude; alertness; dependability; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
A) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and four (4) years of experience in the operation and maintenance of electric pumps and auxiliary equipment, two (2) years of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; OR
B) Eight (8) years of experience in the operation and maintenance of electric pumps and auxiliary equipment, two (2) years of which must have been in a supervisory capacity; OR
C) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B)
NOTE: Verifiable part-time and/or volunteer experience will be pro-rated toward meeting full-time experience requirements.
Promotional Examination: Must be serving and have served continuously on a permanent or contingent permanent basis in the Competitive Class for thirty-six (36) months immediately preceding the date of the written test as a Control Operator.