TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Supervises field survey party and prepares field survey notes and drawings;
- Inspects materials used and job workmanship to insure conformity to job plans, specifications and other requirements;
- Inspects and supervises the placement of fill and surface on roads and streets to ensure proper backfill and re-pavement where openings have been made;
- Sees that contractors keep roads and streets clear of obstruction during construction work;
- Investigates complaints regarding pavement, sidewalks, curbs, gutters, lawns and related subsurface structures;
- Field supervises new plant installations and construction for adherence to plans and specifications;
- Field supervises the installation and maintenance of treatment plant and pumping station equipment;
- Assures that contractors comply with construction terms and specifications;
- Maintains field notes containing reference to job locations for later permanent plotting;
- Makes recommendations concerning necessary repairs to equipment;
- Sees that lines and grades are maintained on all pipe construction jobs;
- May supervise or perform as a member of a field party in gathering data for the purpose of mapping the water system and locating leaks with various leak detection equipment;
- May supervise a maintenance crew for the repair or installation of major plant equipment;
- May supervise a maintenance crew for the repair or installation of water mains.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Good knowledge of materials and methods associated with the installation of subsurface utilities, survey equipment, computers, G.I.S. and water plant equipment; Familiarity with state and local laws governing such construction and installation; good knowledge of all safety rules and regulations; Ability to tactfully direct the activities of contractors into compliance with municipal or school district practices and requirements; Ability to make sketches and simple engineering computations; Work with accounting division in preparing bills for contractors, retirement of property and other related matters; Supervises the care and maintenance of a variety of equipment assigned to that department; Ability to get along well with contractors, superiors and employees; Resourcefulness and imagination in meeting new or unusual problems; Initiative in carrying out the duties of the job commensurate with the best interest of the Authority; Willingness to work outdoors under most weather conditions; Physically capable of performing the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Associate’s Degree in Engineering or Technology, and four (4) years of responsible construction experience primarily concerned with subsurface utilities; or:
B) Graduation from high school or vocational school, or possession of a high school equivalency diploma, eight (8) years of responsible construction experience, primarily concerned with subsurface utilities; or:
C) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B).
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Possession of a valid Class D drivers license issued by the State of New York at time of appointment.