TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Designs, develops, supports and implements computer applications for using mainframe computer data in a local area personal computer network environment;
- Analyzes present system and procedures for the purpose of proposing and developing modifications and improvements for transferring information from the mainframe environment to the personal computer environment;
- Establishes and ensures maintenance of standards to effectively process downloaded information; Prepares charts, tables and diagrams to assist in analyzing problem for LAN;
- Advises user staff in preparing detailed training programs from LAN diagrams; Provides application training, support and instructions to personnel;
- Installs, customizes and maintains all vendor supplied software for LAN operation;
- Performs hardware and software evaluations, and provides management with reports and recommendations;
- Studies, evaluates and implements substantive program and operational methods and procedures for determining the feasibility of adapting them to electronic data processing methods;
- Participates in project organization and scheduling;
- Orders PC hardware and software and maintains inventory.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Thorough knowledge of the principles and techniques involved in mainframe to personal computer data transfer; thorough knowledge of local area network topologies and operating system; thorough knowledge of both mainframe and personal computer operating system; thorough knowledge of communications hardware and software; good knowledge of system analysis concepts; ability to communicate clearly, both orally and in writing; ability to work well with others; possess logical reasoning and sound judgment; initiative and resourcefulness; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
(A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered four (4) year college or university with a Bachelor‘s degree and two (2) years of data processing experience in vendor supplied operating systems software programming and/or maintenance; OR
(B) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered two (2) or four (4) year college or university with an Associate’s degree in Data Processing, Computer Science, Business Administration or related field and three (3) years of data processing experience in vendor supplied operating systems software programming and/or maintenance; OR
(C) Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and five (5) years of data processing experience, at least three (3) years of which involved computer programming with at least two (2) years in vendor supplied operating systems software programming and/or maintenance; OR
(D) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A), (B) and (C).
NOTE: Verifiable part-tine and /or volunteer experience will be pro-rated toward meeting full-tine experience requirements.