TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Monitors operation of the computer, discs, printers, tape units, card readers and communications equipment for both systems and hardware errors;
- Operates the control console of the computer and the other elements of the system including the input and output units; makes prompt and correct responses to all console messages;
- Observes indicators on console and peripheral equipment and takes necessary steps to assure the proper functioning of the machine throughout individual production runs;
- Analyzes machine stops and takes appropriate action;
- Reviews all inputs to determine if all data is complete prior to entering jobs to be executed; Reviews all finished products prior to release to input / output control;
- Maintains records necessary for determining maintenance, operating efficiency, shift turnover, assistance calls received and action taken, etc.;
- Confers with data processing supervisors as to products, procedures, machine time, rate of output and difficulties encountered;
- Performs prescribed file security procedures;
- Assists in training new personnel in computer operations; Prepares external tape labels and labels all output accurately; Operates systems related auxiliary or peripheral equipment Performs routine cleaning and maintenance of assigned equipment;
- Receives, in a computer based information network, incoming problem / question calls, advises users within the scope of own expertise, refers emergency and technical problem / questions outside area of own expertise to appropriate systems / computer specialists or supervisor; orders emergency service calls from outside vendors to correct any critical hardware breakdown or malfunction,
- Assures that operating supplies are available in the department, and that the computer room is adequately supplied to cover assigned shifts.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS: Good knowledge of modern methods, principles, and techniques of data processing and electronic computing machines; good knowledge of the procedures for preparing the system for use, including testing equipment prior to use; good knowledge of procedures for initial program loading of the system and of the related software functions; good knowledge of tape library system and the ability to identify and request tapes that are needed; good knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment; working knowledge of the use, operation and maintenance of computer hardware and peripheral equipment; ability to reason with a high degree of logic; ability to understand and follow detailed oral and written instructions; ability to work well with others; a high degree of accuracy, industry and dependability; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Associate’s Degree in Computer Science or Data Processing and six (6) months experience operating a multi-processing main frame computer; or:
B) Graduation from a standard senior high school and one (1) year of data processing experience, six (6) months in the operation of a multiprocessing main frame computer; or:
C) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B).
NOTE: Verifiable part-time and/or volunteer experience will be pro-rated toward meeting full-tine experience requirements