TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES:
- Oversees and works closely with the lead designer of the process control network (process automation and process network operations) including hardware and software selection, topology, programming and performance monitoring;
- Coordinates the integration of various process systems such as Supervisory Control Data Acquisition (SCADA) equipment, Programmable Logic Controller (PLC’s), Microwave Radios, Electrical Power Logic Monitors, Servers, Routers, and Switches, as well as various software systems related to the process network (Graphical User Interfaces, Applications and Databases);
- Coordinates and works closely with the ECWA’s IT Department and Security Officer to ensure all ECWA cyber security protocols are met;
- Incorporates advanced technologies keeping abreast of industry standards to ensure the safe and secure distribution of potable water;
- Provides high-level technical support of the ECWA SCADA system, hardware, software and data communication works;
- Develops algorithms to monitor, control and portray processes;
- Develops and integrates programs for PLC’s;
- Designs, installs and maintains process network equipment and systems;
- Develops methods to guide the collection, use and dissemination of data;
- Responsible for investigating new and innovative technologies with the ability to adapt and address the challenges associated with the latest technology and software associated with industrial controls and automation.
- Integrates data and control systems to the instrumentation equipment used to monitor and control a wide variety of processes such as temperature, pressure, level, flow, vibration and speed;
- Maintains accurate records of equipment maintenance and repair required to keep department functioning using a Computerized Maintenance Management System;
- Prepares Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID’s);
- Monitors project progress to ensure conformity with plans and specifications, adherence to timelines, and approves payments and/or recommends corrective action as required;
- Accountable for integration of Microwave Radios;
- Maintains Electrical Power Logic Monitors and Servers;
- Responsible for the integration of Routers and Switches;
- Participates in staff activities in relation to agency-wide planning and implementation;
- Conducts oral and written presentations as required;
- Exercises a high level of independent judgement and leadership.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
Comprehensive knowledge of industry standards and technologies related to the safe and secure distribution of potable water; comprehensive knowledge of instrumentation equipment including electronic, pneumatic and hydraulic systems; comprehensive knowledge of mathematics; thorough knowledge of the laws, rules and regulations governing the large scale distribution of potable water in Erie County; thorough knowledge of industry standards technologies as they relate to electrical equipment and systems including motor controls and Variable Frequency Drives (VFD’s); thorough knowledge of network technologies, hardware, and configuration including servers, routers, switches, security and user access management; comprehensive knowledge of technologies used to extend computer resources; thorough knowledge of databases, database management and reporting services; thorough knowledge of various programming languages and techniques, including web application development, object-oriented programming and data structure development; comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of electronics including radio telemetry, digital communications and networking; thorough knowledge of control concepts including open/close loop, proportional band, integral and derivative; thorough knowledge of programming concepts for SCADA systems including graphics development, historical data logging, alarm and event control, trending and reporting, and communications to field devices; ability to write technical reports; ability to communicate orally and in writing; organizational ability; analytical ability; ability to create and interpret schematic drawings; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse constituency; ability to exercise independent judgment; capable of performing the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
A) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or Information Technology or closely related field , plus six (6) years’ experience in the installation, configuration, programming or maintenance of computers and network equipment associated with the implementation of SCADA and PLC’s to automate and remotely control industrial process control systems; OR
B) Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Associate’s degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or Information Technology or closely related field , plus eight (8) years’ experience in the installation, configuration, programming or maintenance of computers and network equipment associated with the implementation of SCADA and PLC’s to automate and remotely control industrial process control systems; OR
C) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B) above.
NOTE: Verifiable part-time and/or volunteer experience will be pro-rated toward meeting full-time experience requirements.